What is Chiropody and Podiatry?
Chiropodists/podiatrists specialise in assessing, diagnosing and treating abnormalities of the lower limb. In the average lifetime our feet will carry us 70,000 miles often in unsuitable footwear. It is not surprising that many people will suffer from foot disorders at some stage during their life, ranging from minor to more major problems. Chiropodists/podiatrists are trained to alleviate these disorders and provide advice on preventing future problems.
A chiropodist/podiatrist can assist with the following:
- gryphosis (thick nails)
- ingrowing toenails
- corns, callouses, dry foot conditions such as cracked heels
- fungal infections of skin and nails
- plantar fascitis (heel pain)
- managing foot deformities caused by diseases such as arthritis and diabetes
- advice on correct types of footwear and corrective insoles to support, align and prevent or correct deformities
- biometrics, correct types of footwear and corrective insoles